Thursday, January 01, 2009

Author John Crowley talks about his childhood involvement with Alice in Wonderland syndrome, one of several strange medical conditions discussed by the WSJ.

I have been trying to describe this syndrome to people for years, and never once met anyone who recognized it from my description; I've assigned it to a couple of characters in my books, including the child Sam in the Aegypt series. In my experience it's more odd a feeling than this, and more ambivalent: I feel (or felt, as a child, almost never any more) as though my hands and feet are billions of miles distant from my head and heart, but at the same time I am enormously, infinitely large, and so those parts are in the same spatial relation to my self as ever, or even monstrously closer.

I wonder of Carroll (Dodgson, rather) had this syndrome.

No comments: